Ottawa Invaders Cheer Squad
Now is your chance to become a part of Ottawa’s most exciting cheerleading team!
On the field, you’ll capture the attention of Ottawa football fans, setting the bar for Pro Cheer in Ottawa. In the stands, you’ll meet the most dedicated sports fans, eager and excited to have football back in the Nation’s Capital.
This is your opportunity to meet some amazing people, support some meaningful charity events and act as a role model for many young girls.
The Ottawa Invaders are currently looking for the best of the best for the 2012 season's Cheerleading Promotional Dance Team “The Ottawa Invaders Cheerleaders” to:
• Perform on-field during Invader home games (and maybe some nearby away games)
• Entertain and lift the spirits of the Ottawa Football community
• Travel locally, meeting fans and participating in many community events
• Educate fans and potential fans about all the Invaders and a Pro Football team have to offer
• Appear in the stands and on the video screens leading game day promotions
• Pose for pictures and sign autographs during and after each game
• Sell promotional items such as a Viking Cheerleader calendar and Invaders merchandise
• Represent Ottawa in the All Star Game and any Championship events!
What are the responsibilities and requirements of a member of the cheer team?
• Represent the Ottawa Invaders organization by actively supporting the values and goals of the club
• Participate in community events and volunteer activities
• Engage with fans through various media, corporate, community and charity events
• Entertain fans during all home games
• You must be able to attend all rehearsals and other related activities
Cheer team members possess…
• Maturity and responsibility
• Dedication and a strong desire to support the team and the squad
• A positive attitude and high energy level
• A flexible schedule as some of our promotions come up at the last minute!
• Must be 16 years of age as of May 31st, 2012
• Cheer/Gymnastics experience is helpful, but not required. Dance experience essential!
Are there height and weight requirements?
There are no height and weight requirements; however, we are looking for athletic girls in good physical condition. We recommend that all candidates maintain a regular exercise program.
What is the format of the preliminary auditions?
Registration: $10 registration fee - pick up application package
1st Audition: hand in completed application form, signed waiver and a current head-shot.
All candidates learn a short dance/cheer and perform it in small groups for the judges.
A logical football knowledge quiz will be administered as well as a personal interview. The quiz is not a determining factor, but simply to give us an idea of your knowledge of the game. Workshops will be provided.
If you make the team, a $100 Uniform fee will be required.
What should I wear to the auditions?
• Dance or workout attire – a sports bra (your midriff must be exposed)
• Dance or running shoes
• Camera-ready hair and make-up
• Please bring a water bottle and snack if you require one.
What are the judges looking for?
• Appearance - physically fit, confident, poised, a neat and polished presentation
• Dance Skills - crowd-pleasing, grace, style
• Showmanship - smile, eye contact, projection of positive support for the team
• Personality - outgoing, enthusiastic, professional, ability to be a “team player”
The ability to be coached and how quickly you learn choreography will also be considered
What is the time commitment?
• Practices are 2 times per week (Expected to be Tuesday & Thursday evenings)
• Must participate in promotions
• Must attend all home games – arrival time at the stadium is between 1.5-2 hours pre-game and cheerleaders are required to attend the official post- game party following each home game
Do current squad members have to re-audition?
Yes, all members must go through the audition process (excluding Captains) each season and are not guaranteed their place on the squad.